One of the most frequent questions we get from our customers is how to get from their current data warehouse landscape to SAP BW/4HANA. At KochaSoft, we’ve developed a simplified data warehousing solution, that provides a flexible, cost-efficient journey to BW/4HANA.
For our furniture retail client, the desire to convert their existing BW systems to BW/4HANA stems from the desire to cut support costs. In addition, some key business drivers that make the case for a journey to BW/4HANA include:
- Staying in mainstream support
- Simplifying & Modernizing their current EDW
- Reducing reliance on inventory reporting for operational efficiency, cost control, and profitability.
Embracing the Journey Towards Modern EDW
The last one proves particularly problematic from a business perspective. For instance, their legacy SAP BW on Oracle only allowed them to run one daily companywide inventory report.
They came to us to modernize their current EDW solution in order to enable innovation and gain key business insights across the organization.
Extending The Value of SAP Investments
A major value-add we provide our clients is the ability to extend the value of their investment in SAP systems. This particular solution allows them to harness SAP BW/4HANA capabilities with agility and flexibility.
For our client desired to convert their existing BW system to BW/4HANA (In-Place conversion). However, they had started their BW conversion journey 20 years back and had many redundant and inefficient models in the system, In-Place conversion was less valuable and risky.
To combat this, they needed to start from scratch. By working with KochaSoft, our team brought a new perspective and carried over only what they needed to the new system. The project left old and unused objects behind and allowed them to carry out the conversion of data models to BW/4HANA in phases with existing BW running as-it-is for reporting without any disruption to the business. This also serves for the validation of reports from BW/4HANA with the existing BW system.
Is your cloud or BW system on Azure?
The Solution: A Remote Conversion of SAP BW on Oracle to BW/4HANA
The client opted for a Remote Conversion of an SAP BW on Oracle to BW/4HANA 2.0 SP3. Here is a high-level process flow:
- BW/4HANA readiness Check
- Maintenance activities
- Custom code adjustments
- Authorizations readiness (OSS note 2468657)
- Install new BW/4HANA 2.0 system
- Install DMIS add-on on legacy BW system
- Create a conversion project
- Pick dataflows (by functional area) for transfer using Conversion cockpit
- Additional custom code adjustments
- Delta cloning
- Data transfer from legacy BW to BW/4HANA
- Validation of delta from the source system to BW/4HANA
- Validation and UAT of Data
- Repeat steps 3-6 until all required dataflows are transferred to the new BW/4HANA system.
If you’re considering a move from your existing BW systems to BW/4HANA, you’ll want to make sure you do proper housekeeping of your source BW system to reduce data footprint and obsolete objects.
From a preparation perspective, you should make sure you check custom code using code inspection early in the project.
Finally, failing to plan is planning to fail, so ensure that you Have a proper maintenance plan for the original system during the project.
Other lessons learned during the project:
- Make sure all ECC DataSources are exposed to ODP.
- Before using conversion cockpit, check often for newer versions of SAP notes related to it.
- For some Cube & DSO, it is a good idea to reload the entire data set from the source system. Pay attention to any manual data adjustment done in the legacy BW system.
- Copy production BW & ECC systems and perform conversion & delta cloning before production BW/4HANA migration.
- During parallel-run, adjust ECC system resources for dual delta queues (one for legacy BW & one for BW/4HANA).
Of course, this is just one solution pathway. KochaSoft specializes in delivering strategic evaluation, implementation, and integration of Analytics & Data warehousing solutions for large companies.
We’re experts in:
- Showing how your BW systems can benefit from upgrades or migration or conversion
- Building Analytics solutions for SAP data using Azure Synapse/SQLDWH/SQLServer
- Building Analytics solutions for SAP data using Google Big Query